Hosting Knowledge Base
How to change the name servers (NS records) of my domain?
In this article, we are going to cover how to change Name Servers.
Any changes to the Name Server records must be done at the Registrar’s website (the company you’ve obtained a domain name from) and can take up to 48 hours to propagate across the Internet.
If you happen to have a domain registered with/transferred to AwardSpace, you can change its Name Server records by using any of the following methods.
Option #1: Through the AwardSpace Hosting Control Panel
- Log into the Hosting Control Panel of your AwardSpace account and navigate to your Domain Manager section.
- Select the domain name you wish to change the Name Servers for and click on the Settings icon.
- Click on the Name Servers tab.
On the Name Servers page, you will be presented with the following two options:
- Use default Name Servers
- Use different Name Servers
The first option can be used for resetting the Name Servers to their default values – ns5.awardspace.com and ns6.awardspace.com. When selected, your domain’s DNS A, MX, TXT and CNAME records can be managed through your Awardspace web hosting account.
The second option allows you to connect your domain to a third-party hosting provider and manage your DNS zone records through their Control Panel.
To switch your domain name to point to a different provider, you should choose the second option. Some hosting providers may provide you with 2 NS records, some of them have 3 or even 4 NS records. Enter the custom Name Servers given by your hosting provider into the Name Server fields and click Save.
Option #2: Through the AwardSpace Domain Control Panel
When you register a domain with AwardSpace, our system automatically creates a new section in your web hosting account, called Domain Control Panel. The AwardSpace Domain Control Panel has a slight different interface and offers a set of tools for managing your domain. Some of its features are:
- Easy DNS Management
- WHOIS Management
- Registration/Renewal section
The entire process of changing NS records is quite simple and can be done in four easy steps:
- Log into your Domain Control Panel and go to the My Domains section.
- Click on your domain name and open the DNS Settings tab.
- Click the Edit button and remove the NS records provided by AwardSpace (those would be ns5.awardspace.com and ns6.awardspace.com).
- Enter the Name Servers given by your new provider and click Save.
Option #3: Submitting a Support Ticket
The last option is to submit a support (trouble) ticket from your Hosting Control Panel and request your domain’s NS records to be changed.
You can open a ticket at any time via the Support Center section inside your AwardSpace account.